Slaves of Golconda
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Doctor Glas

2 posters

Go down

Doctor Glas Empty Doctor Glas

Post by Stefanie Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:16 pm

So here's a thought to get the discussion going. I mention it in my blog post. Do you think Dr. Glas is an unreliable narrator? He tells us the truth in the information he provides but he freely admits he doesn't tell us everything. Do you think he is hiding anything from us?
Stefanie
Stefanie
Admin

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2008-12-22

http://somanybooksblog.com

Back to top Go down

Doctor Glas Empty Re: Doctor Glas

Post by Rohan Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:48 am

I wondered about that too, Stefanie! In the end I decided he was pretty reliable, only because we aren't given the kinds of signals (I didn't think) that we need to measure unreliability -- such as other people acting or speaking in a way that clearly contradicts his version of events. Still, I wasn't sure and I'd probably need another really careful reading of the novel to make up my mind.

Rohan

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2010-10-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Stefanie Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:03 pm

I didn't notice any signals like you mention either Rohan. But neither am I completely sure how reliable he is when all is said and done. It would definitely take a second careful reading to figure it out.

I think people must be slow to finish the book but I'm going to toss out something about the ending.

Glas kills Mr. G. Mrs. G has no idea. We learn that Recke is probably going to marry some other woman for her money which will leave Mrs. G free. However, we know she won't be interested in Glas. Glas longs to tell someone what he has done. Do you think he might eventually tell Mrs. G? Or since he says life has passed him by, will he eventually take one of the cyanide pills? Or maybe he just goes back to being as he was before everything happened? It's hard to imagine going on as before but if anyone could do it Glas could.
Stefanie
Stefanie
Admin

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2008-12-22

http://somanybooksblog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: